Wednesday, May 27, 2015

For want of rain.........

Is this the font I normally use?

This is the tree house.  I have been building it here and there for almost a year.  In reality, if you put together the time i have worked on it, I believe it took me less than a week.  This is what it looked like last week.  A few days ago I bagged work to get the roof on (see below).

The tree was dead, so that was a good start.  If you want the tree you're building on to live, you have to be very careful.  If it's dead, why then you cut big slots in it, and set the frame right into it.

I built it like a barrel, with a top and a bottom circle, and then put the strakes around it.  No drawings, no idea where it was going when i started.

I don't know how to change the sequence of the photos...  so , now for something completely different:

I wanted a picture of him harvesting the ruby streaks, but Luis was too cool to not strike a pose.

Here Brando is picking, grading, and bunching radishes.  Radishes grow fast, and too densely, so the work in them, is searching through the greenery for mature ones, then you gotta pull them out and look at them to be sure they aren't bug eaten, and then make a bunch out of them.  This photo is from yesterday,  We harvested about 300 bunches of radishes.

This was the second harvest from the same seeding.  We generally get 4 harvests, before the remaining ones are just crappy.

This is me just finishing screwing down the metal roofing.  Would you believe me if I told you, without planning it, I had exactly the right amount of this metal roof lying around here, to do this whole roof!  IT'S TRUE!

My kids are coming for the summer this weekend, and I told them it would be done when they got here.  So tomorrow, I have to build a better ladder, and cut out the holes for the windows I have, and hinge those in place.  Then, "voila" as the Mexicans say.... the raddest tree house this side of the Kennebec!

An unexpected find during the first big harvest day of the season!

That is in fact a snapper!  Don't try this at home!

Here the gigantic American is demonstrating to the tiny Mexicans how to lift with your back and not your knees... ya know!  Like we do in America!

Aren't all those weird asian greens gorgeous!

Look at those favas go!  despite the drought they were born into this 2015 season.

We are going to trellis them for the first time this year, just to keep them upright.  They often grow so tall, they fall over if there is bad wind, making them very very hard to pick.

There's that garlic chuggin along in the back ground.

We just removed the row cover from the swiss chard and kale, so we could scrub it clean of weeds, and harvest it for the first time, which we did yesterday.  In 4 weeks you won't be able to see the ground, for the size of the chard.

Inside the green house this year, is the first round of summer squashes, which should have harvestable fruit by next week!  And then planted down the middle of each bed, are tomatoes, which we will trellis to string, to grow straight up between the squash plants.

I think Cassidy is inspecting for fairies in this one.

Emily said Peaches is smiling for this photo.

She really lives the life, that dog.

Here, Peaches is inspecting the green house lettuce to determine how much we should offer the Rosemont this week....

If you didn't buy radishes from me this week, shame on you.  They're spring's little jewels!  And we have soooo many!

Here they are "chillin"(in quotations like I'm an old man) in the walk in cooler.




And that's all for this posting of the Stonecipher Farm BLOAHUGGG.
Be sure to  leave a comment if you feel a need to publicly communicate with me.
"Eat more kale!"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why do you hate America?

throwinrocks said...

ian, your the man this bloahuggg is awesome- your (everyones) favorite delivery guy

Anonymous said...

Your farm is AMAZING!!! I love watching the progress. It's inspired me to start my own little garden in my back yard.

I want to see lots of photos of Anna, Gideon, and Cassidy playing in the tree house next month.

-Tam Tam

Juli and Fred said...

OMG...the tree house is amazing! I'm sure the kids are loving it...

Sorry we didn't make the bean supper, I twisted my ankle taking a tumble off the new porch and it was swollen up like a ham, making standing painful and walking impossible.

The crops look wonderful!!

Previous Entries