Friday, March 25, 2016

Until things are pretty enough to take some NEW pictures....

Drier warmer days....This is our driveway, looking down toward the road from the house.
 
I planted a mess of apple trees back in 2010.  Many died, and the rest were back burnered while the part of the farm that makes money, got on it's feet.  But despite the neglect a few of them have really thrived.  Last October, I picked the very first apple harvest from this farm:  8 Summer Rambo apples.  They were amazing!  The first summer rambos I've ever  had, and they came from my own tree....
Talk about the back burner!  This here barn has been being built for three years!  This photo of it was taken in October, when I first was getting back around to it after a long 2015 season.  I will post a photo of it as it looks today as soon as I can.  The difference is remarkable.  The roof was finished 2 days ago. (for a good time, root around in the blog and find older pictures of this same building).

Ian and Emily Jerolmack at North Star Farm.  This is a self portrait I took simply by extending my arm, and aiming the camera at ourselves!

 Perhaps one of the most picturesque and well run farms in Maine, North Star Farm.  A "no brainer" site for a farm supper.  We were fortunate enough to receive tickets to the event back in August.  We perhaps weren't quite as moved, as all the city slickers (what with living on a farm ourselves and all)... but our appreciation for the confluence of energy for such an excellent evening, with such great food was perhaps all the more great, since we normally live in such a small bubble world...

They are probably all lamb kababs by now.

Thanks for the tickets chef.  And the custom vegetarian off menu courtesy courses.

Chris Gould, North Star Farm, Outstanding in the Field.

It doesn't get much more quintessential than this.  It's every foodie localvore terroirists' dream venue.  The terroir was so great in fact, that they had to cover the floor in straw to try to absorb some of it!  My favorite part of the evening I think, was when a sparrow fledged, and fell down onto a woman next to me's plate!
Good times....
Good times.

This is Good Shepherd Farm in Bremen.

 They are friends of mine from way back.  They have the sweetest little off the grid farm stead you ever wanted to see.  They are so small scale, that that there is a power wheel barrel!  That in the back ground is their bakery.

On the real!  They cleared the land, and farm between the stumps, just like the old days!  I can't believe how good their stuff looks considering the obstacles! I give them so much credit with doing sooo much with so little.
Here is David Koubeck of Good Shepherd Farm starting a fire in their oven, for a pizza night while we were visiting.  All the wood he burns comes from his land.  He built the house, bakery and the oven.  Suffice it to say, we have a lot in common, and get on pretty well.

Check out them and their family and their bread and their veggies at the Portland Famers' Market Saturdays in Deering Oaks Park.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As my surname is Stonecipher, I’m curious how your farm came to have that name. Kudos are your impressive family enterprise. My dad was a dedicated organic gardener back in the 70’s. He would have loved to have seen what you and your family have accomplished.

Previous Entries